Statement of Faith
St. Paul United Church of Christ affirms the United Church of Christ Statement of Faith
We believe in you, O God, Eternal Spirit, God of our Savior Jesus Christ and our God, and to your deeds we testify:
- You call the worlds into being, create persons in your own image, and set before each one the ways of life and death.
- You seek in holy love to save all people from aimlessness and sin.
- You judge people and nations by your righteous will declared through prophets and apostles.
- In Jesus Christ, the man of Nazareth, our crucified and risen Savior,
you have come to us and shared our common lot, conquering sin and death and reconciling the world to yourself.
- You bestow upon us your Holy Spirit, creating and renewing
the church of Jesus Christ, binding in covenant faithful people of all ages, tongues, and races.
- You call us into your church to accept the cost and joy of discipleship, to be your servants in the service of others, to proclaim the gospel to all the world and resist the powers of evil, to share in Christ’s baptism and eat at his table, to join him in his passion and victory.
- You promise to all who trust you forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace, courage in the struggle for justice and peace, your presence in trial and rejoicing, and eternal life in your realm which has no end.
Blessing and honor, glory and power be unto you.
Statement of Mission
St. Paul United Church of Christ affirms the United Church of Christ Statement of Mission
As people of the United Church of Christ, affirming our Statement of Faith, we seek within the Church Universal to participate in God’s mission and to follow the way of the crucified and risen Christ.
Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we are called and commit ourselves:
- To praise God, confess our sin, and joyfully accept God’s forgiveness;
- To proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our suffering world;
- To embody God’s Love for all people;
- To hear and give voice to creation’s cry for justice and peace;
- To name and confront the powers of evil within and among us;
- To repent our silence and complicity with the forces of chaos and death;
- To preach and teach with the power of the living Word;
- To join oppressed and troubled people in the struggle for liberation;
- To work for justice, healing, and wholeness of life;
- To embrace the unity of Christ’s church;
- To discern and celebrate the present and coming reign of God.